Richard N. Billington, Q.C.
Direct: (403) 930-4101
Fax: (403) 930-4110
Richard N. Billington, Q.C. is the founder of Billington Barristers and has practiced law as trial and regulatory counsel since 1984. In addition to his experience before all levels of Court in Alberta, the Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal, he has also appeared before the Courts of other provinces and territories. Rick is also an experienced mediator and arbitrator.
The foundation of Rick’s practice is his experience before the Court in all manners of civil dispute. More particularly, Rick has extensive experience in corporate/commercial litigation and corporate insolvency and restructuring. He serves clients from a wide range of industries including oil and gas companies, oil field service providers, investors, corporate boards, inventors, authors, accounting firms, trustees in bankruptcy, receivers, governments, and financial institutions.
Rick is regularly called on to address industry and professional groups on anti-money laundering and remedies to fight fraud. Rick is sought out by clients and other law firms for his experience in obtaining and defending against extraordinary remedies including injunctions and emergency orders. His work is often precedent setting, and over 100 of his cases have been reported in the law reports.
Rick is a committed supporter of oral advocacy training, including at the Faculties of Law and Management at the University of Calgary. He is active in his community including in charitable and educational organizations. The Province of Alberta appointed Richard N. Billington as Queen's Counsel in 2005.
Associations & Memberships
- Association of Certified Forensic Investigators of Canada
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals - Seminar Participant
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association
- Accredited Mediator with the Legal Education Society of Alberta
- Alberta Arbitration and Mediation Society
- Institute of Corporate Directors
Areas of Practice
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Oil and Gas Litigation and Arbitration
- Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Restructuring
- Shareholder Oppression Litigation
- Injunctions and Emergency Orders
- General Civil Litigation
- Municipal Law
- Securities Litigation
Publications and Presentations to Professional and Industry Seminars
- “Civil Remedies to Respond to Business Fraud” – presented to Business Crime Solutions Money Laundering Conference, Banff, September 2015.
- “Ferreting Out and Seizing Assets and Evidence” – presented to Association of Certified Forensic Investigators National Conference, Toronto, May 2015.
- “The Dark Side of the Boom” – Presented to the Canadian Institute’s Provincial and Municipal Liability Conference, Toronto, February 2011.
- "Nothing but the Hole Truth" - Presented to the Canadian Bar Association at the Alberta Law Conference, Calgary, January 2010.
- "Understanding the Interplay of Real Property Law with Insolvency Regimes" - Presented to the Canadian Institute, Advanced Insolvency Law & Practice Conference, Vancouver, September 2009.
- "The Canadian Advantage: Better Courts, Better Business - Advanced Remedies to Fight Fraud" - Presented to the Association of Certified Forensic Investigators.
- "Extraordinary Remedies to Combat Fraud in Bankruptcy and Insolvency Situations" - Presented to The Canadian Institute.
- "Legal Tools to Enforce Cascading Rights Under the Plant Breeders Rights Act" - Presented to the Canadian Plant Technology Association.
- "Protecting Business Information: Judicial Remedies to Combat Fraud and Misappropriation of Intellectual Property" - Presented to the Calgary Chamber of Commerce.
- "Judicial Remedies in Aid of Gaining Access to and Receiving Equitable Treatment at Gas Processing Facilities" - Presented to Insight Seminars.